Basic Artwork Guidelines
We use a wide variety of output devices to complete printed work, the majority of devices print using CMYK colour space. If you need to supply your origination using RGB colour space please advise us in advance to ensure optimum printed results.
- Colour images should be CMYK and a resolution of 300dpi.
- Black and White (Mono) files can be either Greyscale or CMYK, if CMYK ensure they are neutral in colour balance.
- When converting from RGB image file in Photoshop or when creating a PDF from your design program, select the 'ISO Coated V2', profile, this profile is suitable for many printing devices.
Page Layout Documents
- Layout designs should be prepared to the final page size plus a 3mm allowence for bleed.
- All colours used in the layout should be set to print CMYK, special colours using Pantone colours can be specified as spot colours or switched to CMYK. Do NOT change the name of any Pantone colour swatches used within the layout.
- Supply all graphic files and fonts used within the document.
- Solid black areas should be made up of the following CMYK breakdown C60 M50 Y50 K100.
- 'Print Ready' PDF's must be as single pages with 3mm bleed and printers trim marks applied.
- The page must be centrally located within the PDF. Do NOT include file information tags that cause the printed page area to be off centre.
- Ensure all required fonts are embedded.
- For professional designers who understand bleed, please skip this bullet point...
Bleed is the area of artwork that has to be extended beyond the page size. Printed material requires additional image area to trim off so any image or colour panel that extends to the page edge will be cut flush without any white edges. A standard 3mm of area is required on each edge, thats an extra 6mm to the width and height of the document, for example: A4 Paper = 210mm x 297mm, + 3mm bleed all round Total Document Size = 216mm x 303mm
- Pages with no printed matter at the page edge do not require bleed.
- Artwork files that are too big to deliver via e-mail can be sent by an online delivery service. We can send out a link to our Hightail service or accept a link from your own file delivery provider.
- A PDF proof will be supplied back to you for approval of content before printing.